Transparent Acrylic Layering Techniques
Take advantage of the fast-drying nature of acrylic to create translucent and luminous paintings. In this workshop we will start with simple techniques using just a few layers and eventually working up to more complex layer techniques that require dozens of layers. These techniques are especially effective for watercolorists transitioning to acrylic.
Specifically, you will learn how to create:
• Sequence of colors in transparent layering
• Color glazes to adjust color hue, saturation, and subtlety
• A different combination of transparent and opaque layers
• More vibrant colors using acrylic medium and varnishes
• A transparent painting with the best painting surfaces specifically for you
• Intro to transparent layering techniques from famous painters like Maxfield Parrish and Johannes Vermeer
We’ll create paintings in landscape, still life, and figurative paintings so you can see how these techniques can be applied to different subject matters.
Both online and in person workshops will include painting demos, student work feedback sessions, slideshow presentations, and eye training exercises. These combinations of activities are designed to help refine your painting techniques and observation skills. Photo references will be provided for all painting assignments. Students are welcome to bring their own photo references for their own paintings.
In person workshops will have extended painting sessions. During these sessions, students will get one-on-one mentoring from Wayne.
Online workshop students will have access to download a video file of the painting demo to refer to so they can paint along at home at their own pace. There will be critiques at the beginning of some of the classes.
Online workshop students are responsible for knowing how to:
- Log into Zoom. Be sure to test this before the first class session.
- Send email or post photos of their painting to Wayne for feedback.
Demo paintings from past workshops:
Wayne's paintings using techniques taught in this workshop: