Floral Acrylic Paintings in the Old Masters' Style
Inspired by all the spring flowers? Let’s capture the brilliance and subtle beauty of garden flowers in your paintings. In this workshop you will learn some of the layering and glazing acrylic techniques developed by Wayne over the last three decades, which resembles the look of the Old Masters’ oil paintings using acrylic paint. We will apply these techniques and create translucent and delicate floral acrylic paintings in the Old Masters’ style.
Specifically, you will learn:
- To create texture and translucent surfaces with glazing and layering using combinations of opaque and transparent layering;
- The discipline of using a limited classic color palette to get the Old Masters’ look;
- How to mix subtle shades of saturated to muted colors to enhance the nuances of flower petals;
- The discipline of underpainting techniques as a base for painting;
- How to see light and shadow and apply it to your painting;
- The logic and rules of where to put in details and where to leave them out;
- To apply hard and soft edges to create focal points and make your painting more three dimensional.
This class will include painting demos, student work feedback sessions, slideshow presentations, and eye training exercises. These combinations of activities are designed to help refine your acrylic painting technique, observation skill, and understanding of Old Masters’ paintings.
Both online and in person workshops will have slideshow presentations, painting demos, painting exercises, painting assignments, and paint along with Wayne.
In person workshops will have extended painting sessions. During these sessions, students will get one-on-one mentoring from Wayne. Photo references will be provided for all painting assignments. Students are welcome to bring their own photo references for their own paintings.
Online workshop students will have access to download a video file of the painting demo to refer to so they can paint along at home at their own pace. There will be critiques at the beginning of some of the classes. Online workshop students are responsible for knowing how to:
- Log into Zoom. Be sure to test this before the first class session.
- Send email file attachments of photos of their paintings to Wayne for feedback.
Demo paintings from past workshops:
Wayne's paintings using techniques taught in this workshop