Paint Like the Old Dutch Masters with Acrylic
Through a mixture of demos, hands-on painting sessions from photos or still life, you will learn Wayne Jiang’s unique acrylic glazing and layering techniques to paint like the old Dutch masters. You will learn color theory behind the Old Masters' paintings from the Baroque era such as: Vermeer, Rembrandt, and Rubens.
• Learn to paint acrylic in layers (the technique of the old Dutch masters)
• Learn how to create rich tones with a limited color palette
• Learn the color theory behind Old Masters' paintings from the Baroque era
• Learn layering and glazing in acrylic
• Combine opaque and transparent painting
• Create subtle color tones with layering
• Create translucent colors with glazing
Participants will be provided step-by-step instructions and many practical tips.
Both online and in person workshops will include painting demos, student work feedback sessions, slideshow presentations, and eye training exercises. These combinations of activities are designed to help refine your painting techniques and observation skills. Photo references will be provided for all painting assignments. Students are welcome to bring their own photo references for their own paintings.
In person workshops will have extended painting sessions. During these sessions, students will get one-on-one mentoring from Wayne.
Online workshop students will have access to download a video file of the painting demo to refer to so they can paint along at home at their own pace. There will be critiques at the beginning of some of the classes.
Online workshop students are responsible for knowing how to:
Workshop level: intermediate to advanced