Painting luminous portraits of people or pets with acrylic is easier than you think! This workshop breaks down complex processes into simple steps. Find out how to use photo references properly, how to plan a portrait’s mood and composition before painting, and how to build up contrast and texture with underpainting glazing and layering. Learn to create subtle luminous skin tones with a limited color palette. Wayne will help you improve your painting by learning how to analyze and apply techniques from your favorite painters.
If you haven’t created many acrylic paintings, it’s not a problem! Wayne will help you transition to acrylic from other mediums. With a combination of demos and hands-on painting sessions as well as extensive one-on-one attention, we will discover techniques that work for you.
Level: some painting experience necessary
Course Duration: 4 days, 6-7 hours per day, or 8 days 3-4 per day
- Build up contrast and texture with underpainting glazing and layering
- Use photo references properly
- Plan a portrait’s mood and composition before painting
- Create subtle luminous skin tones with a limited color palette
- Use software such as Photoshop to help you paint with more confidence
- Analyze and apply techniques from your favorite painters
Transitioning to acrylic from watercolor or oil
- Understand the advantages of acrylic while avoiding its shortcomings
Learn best practices in acrylic
- Prepare a variety of surfaces for acrylic painting
- Learn practical tips for painting with acrylics
With a combination of demos and hands-on painting sessions as well as extensive one-on-one attention, we will discover techniques that work for you.
Participants will be provided with a bound illustrated booklet containing step-by-step instructions and many practical tips.
Who should attend the workshop
- Painters of all skill level
- Anyone wanting to learn Wayne’s acrylic glazing and layering techniques
- Anyone wanting to improve portrait painting skills
Bring the following to the workshop
- Small table top easel
- Color palette
- Palette knife
- Small water spray bottle
- Rounded brushes: #0 #2 #4 #8
- 2-3 small stretched canvases, your choice of width and height between 6”-18”
- Photo references with good detail and strong light for the painting
- 1 or 2 books of your favorite portrait painter
Bring the following acrylic colors in a tube or jar:
(Golden and Nova Color are the preferred brands, other brands are okay.)
- Titanium White
- Yellow Ochre
- Burnt Sienna
- Burnt Umber
- Ultramarine Blue
- Gloss Medium
- Cadmium Yellow
- Cadmium Red
Optional colors: Mars Black, Permanent Green, Phthalocyanine Blue, Matte Medium.
For a materials fee of $25, you will receive what you need to get started in painting: brushes, paint, gessoed panel or canvas, and more.
Workshop Fee: $200-$350 depending on class duration, size, and location
Cancellation policy at Wayne's Studio
If you need to cancel, notification must be given at least one week prior to the class’s start date regardless if payment has been sent.
No refunds are given once the workshop starts. If you need to miss a workshop day, you may make up the missing day in any of Wayne's future studio workshops within 6 months.
If the workshop is canceled or rescheduled, you will receive an email notification no later than 48 hours prior to the beginning of the workshop. Payments will be
Artworks created by past workshop participants